Saudi defenses intercept Houthi ballistic missile

Al Houthis this week stepped up its cross-border attacks on Saudi Arabia despite a call from the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), which includes the kingdom, to hold inter-Yemeni talks later this month to resolve the dispute over long standing in Yemen.

On Sunday, the Arab alliance said Saudi air defenses had intercepted a series of rebel ballistic missile and explosive drone attacks targeting energy facilities in the kingdom including facilities belonging to Saudi oil company Aramco.

Saudi Arabia said the attacks were aimed at the stability of the world’s energy supply.

Last week, the six-nation GCC said they had invited the Yemeni parties to talks sponsored by the grouping in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, scheduled for March 29 and April 7.

The talks, according to the GCC, are aimed at unifying inter-Yemeni ranks in favor of state legitimacy and institutions in the war-torn country.

The initiative received the full support of the Saudi-backed Yemeni government, while Al Houthis gave conditional approval to the invitation, demanding that such talks be hosted by any “neutral” country not linked to a Saudi-led military campaign against rebels in Yemen. .

The rebels plunged Yemen into a devastating war after toppling the internationally recognized government and taking parts of the impoverished country, including Sanaa in late 2014.

In 2015, a Saudi-led military coalition launched a campaign in Yemen against the rebels in response to a request from the legitimate government.

About Leni Loberns

Check Also

Saudi Arabia-listed Petro Rabigh posts $173m profit as oil prices soar in first quarter

RIYADH: Saudi shares closed lower for the fourth straight day in the final trading session …